Sunday, March 22, 2009

Grumpy Baby

Lynnea was extubated this morning around 7am. She's been doing OK off the ventilator all day, but she still needs some oxygen support, so she has a nasal cannula, and is on high-flow oxygen, which drives her nuts. She's been awake and a bit on the grumpy side all day, with good reason, of course -- I'm sure her throat hurts a lot after being on the ventilator with the tube down her throat for so long (Ashlyn called it a "yummy straw" when she saw it. . . someday Lynnea will have to explain to her that the ventilator tube is indeed not a yummy straw), and now that she's not sedated, she tries to move around some, which probably causes her chest to hurt. She keeps looking at me like she really wants me to pick her up and snuggle her, but I can't do that yet, and she doesn't understand. I tried giving her a Nuk, which she seemed to like at first, but then she became frustrated with it because she can't quite remember how to suck on it consistently. She had an echocardiogram this afternoon, but I haven't heard what the results were yet; they will probably discuss it in morning rounds tomorrow.

No comments: