Friday, December 26, 2008

A Smile for Chirstmas


"Today in the city of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you : you will find the baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Luke 2:11-12
This year we didn't put up our Christmas tree, or any of our other decorations. We didn't send any Christmas cards. We didn't buy any presents. We didn't bake any cookies. Without all of those things, I have had more time to reflect on what Christmas is all about. It's about a baby; a miraculous baby, who grew up to save all of us. It's so easy to forget that in the middle of trying to shop for the perfect gifts, trying to get all of the baking done, etc. Not having the opportunity to do those things this year forced me to focus on the real reason that we have so much to celebrate.
For me, it's about my baby too this year -- what a gift she has been, even though the past two months have been so difficult for all of us. I am amazed at how much she has changed out lives in such a short time, and how much we have been willing to sacrifice for her sake. For Christmas this year, I received one of the best gifts ever -- smiles from both of my little girls. We are thankful that we were able to be together as a family, away from the hospital. That's more than enough to celebrate.

No comments: