Saturday, September 19, 2009

Breaking Even

Lynnea has now spent as many days at home during her life as she has in the hospital -- 162 each. Now, if we're lucky, we won't have any more long hospital stays before her birthday, and then she'll be able to say that she spent more time at home during her first year than in the hospital. I'm optimistic about it.

This week Lynnea decided that she loves to play peek-a-boo, and other assorted made-up baby games that involve people copying things that she does (like clapping, and shaking her head back and forth). She has also decided that nap time is a complete waste of her time, so she avoids it whenever possible. Tooth number four showed itself on Wednesday -- she now has three on the bottom, and one on the top (if we could only convince her that these new sharp objects that have invaded her mouth are good for chewing food, life would be great). We expect another tooth or two soon.

I had an interesting conversation with Ashlyn yesterday about doctors and nurses. She was pretending to be a nurse, so I asked her, "what do nurses do?" She replied, "They listen to people with a stethoscope, and they weigh people on a scale." So, then I asked, "What do doctors do?" She answered, "They listen to people with a stethoscope." I asked, "Do doctors help people get better?" Ashlyn answered, "No, they just talk a lot." That made me laugh pretty hard. Then I had to ask, "Do nurses help people?" Ashlyn replied, "No, they just like to poke people with sharp sticks." Apparently Ashlyn still harbors ill feelings towards the nurse that immunized her at her last doctor's visit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how Big she is getting :) She is so cute!!!! Sorry to here that her surgery is postponed.
When do they think she will be ready? Next time your in email me... We are down at the U all the time. I would love to visit.