Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Birthday Lynnea!

The focus of birthdays is usually on the aging process -- becoming another year older.  For young children, the idea of being a whole year older is exciting, while for adults, it is often seen as a reminder that they are one year closer to the end of their lives.  But really, the focus shouldn't be on aging; instead, the celebration should center on the birth -- after all, that's what is being commemorated -- the fact that a person entered the world, changing it somehow, sometimes in a big way, sometimes in small ways, but altering things nonetheless in that moment when they arrived, and in every moment afterward.

Two years ago today, I gave birth to a 7lbs. 10oz. baby girl named Lynnea Hope.  In that moment, she changed my world, and Corey's world, and her big sister Ashlyn's world forever.  Suddenly we were no longer a family of three, but a family of four.  Ashlyn became a sister.  In some ways, it may have seemed like a small thing to everyone outside of that hospital room, or outside of our immediate circle of friends and family, but it wasn't small at all.  We welcomed Lynnea Hope into our arms, and into our lives, having no idea at all the kinds of changes she would bring, or the number of lives that she would affect.

The two years since that moment when I held Lynnea in my arms for the first time have been nothing like what I had expected them to be.  Most of all, I never expected to get to say hello to her for the first time so early in the morning, only to have to say goodbye to her on an afternoon 20 short months later.  I feel like I was just beginning to get to know her.  But, I loved all 612 days that I was able to spend with her, and during that time, she taught me (and many other people) a multitude of valuable things, including the significance of birthdays.

So, today we celebrate the appearance of Lynnea Hope in our arms, in our hearts, in our lives.  I wish that she were here to celebrate with us, but, somehow, I'm sure that no Elmo-themed birthday party that I possibly could have planned for her would even come close to comparing to the celebration that she is experiencing in heaven right now.   So, we will enjoy the cupcakes that Ashlyn helped me bake (with sprinkles, of course), and remember what an amazing little person entered the world at 4:07am on Friday, October 31, 2008.

Here is some video footage from Lynnea's one and only birthday party.





4 comments:

Annie Krsiean said...

Thinking of our children this weekend--Joey on Friday and Lynnea today. Praying you are doing as well as can be expected. May the Lord's grace be with you today.

Much love,

Annie Krsiean

Annie Krsiean said...

What I meant to say was I hope and pray you are doing VERY well!

I'm thinking of Joey and Lynnea in heaven. I wonder what birthday parties are like up there? And, I guess they won't go through the terrible two's up there either, will they. ;-).

Hugs,

Annie

Anonymous said...

I have been remembering happy Lynnea all week.
I remember the happy call from her as we would come to visit each day. We would come in the front door and as soon as she would hear our voices she would call- when we got up to the living room we were greeted with her wonderful smile!
I remember the daily visits to the hospital- we got the same smile each day as we would enter her room.
I remember days that were not so good- with the vent tube in- yet as we would try to play- we could often see the smile around the tube.
It didn't take much to make Lynnea happy!
But my best memories are of her happiest days. These really stand out! Her birthday was the first of these- we were not sure how she would like so many people around- she seemed to love it! she wanted to be right down with the other kids playing on the floor! No fear that day only smiles!
Another very happy day in November when she went to church and her baptism was recognized a day full of so much joy...
Another day in the hospital when she was off the vent and able to go for a wagon ride in the hall of the PICU!
And a few days later when they let us take her outside to SWING! wow! that was such a wonderful day- so many smiles!
Lynnea was a wonderful gift to us! Love Grandma B

Anonymous said...

Tina- I just noticed the count is now 20,000 visits to your web. I am honored to have been the visitor that moved the number! mom