Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Well-Child Check-Up

Lynnea went to see her pediatrician today for her 12-month well-child visit. I always think that it's ironic to bring her in for "well-child check-ups" because, obviously, she's not really a well child. Anyway, she's now completely caught up with all of her immunizations, which is a good thing for her, even though she absolutely hated going to the doctor to get poked again.

Medically speaking, she's doing OK for the moment (still waiting for a surgical plan, but again, we're not really expecting to get a plan until after next Monday's cardiology appointment), but she's having some sleep issues. Or, rather, she's causing me to have some sleep issues. The problem is that she has decided that Mommy is supposed to stand next to her crib all night. She falls asleep, and I am able to sneak out of the room, but she periodically (at least once per hour) decides to open her eyes and look around to make sure I'm still in the room; if I'm not there, she cries. When I come in to calm her down, I don't have to actually do anything -- she doesn't want to be picked up, she doesn't need me to rub her back, or sing to her, or anything -- she just wants me to stand there. Unfortunately, since I haven't mastered the art of sleeping standing up, this has been a bit problematic. If she were a normal, healthy child, I would let her cry herself back to sleep, but with her, that's not really an option. So, until we somehow manage to convince her to turn her "Mommy Radar" off at night, I guess I'll have to live with being completely sleep deprived.

No comments: